Monday, November 13, 2017

Musical Theater Therapy: "I Want More"



Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire is hugely popular, but not particularly good (in my never-humble opinion); and yet I found myself unable to put the book down when I read it 25 years ago. Eventually I realized it was the layout of the book that was keeping me from putting it down: the chapters way long, and paragraphs rarely ended at the bottom of a page and I just can't stop without a clean break.

Or a clean-ish break: If I'm desperate I'll take a complete sentence as the end of a page even if the paragraph continues.

Yes, I could read to the end of a sentence on the next page, but once on that page I'd need to finish it. The novel seemed to be formatted in ways that used my quasi-OCD reading rules against me (and yes, by "against me" I mean pushing me to read more in a single sitting).

IWTV was the first of The Vampire Chronicles, Ann Rice's gay gay gay (sorry, homoerotic) novels about "lost souls" who stay out until all hours and sleep through the cursed burning sunlight that also include The Queen of the Damned, Chicken Soup for the Immortal with No Soul, and Eat Pray Love Blood. The film version of IWTV took the bold move when casting the tall blond charismatic Lestat of skipping Julian Sands, David Bowie, Carrie Elwes and Tilda Swinton, and opting for the bitchiest version of Tom Cruise we've ever seen (Tom Cruise's actual height: 5' 6" is probably generous).

Or maybe that I've ever seen (and I haven't seen Jack Reacharound yet).

But this isn't about that. This is Musical Theater Therapy and today's musical is Lestat with music by Elton John and Bernie Taupin. It opened in 2006 and closed very soon after, also in 2006; its total performances (39) outnumber its previews (33), but not by much. It received 2 Tony nominations.

Today's song is "I Want More" sung by Claudia, the little girl turned into a vampire and cursed to spend eternity trapped in the body of a little girl (Roy Moore's dream). Also kids turned vampire have more demanding needs in the way of blood. Poor Claudia: she was already going to have to work twice as hard for less money and recognition, thanks to Lestat she also had to spend eternity being hit on by perverted men and had to feed a constant blood lust to boot.
Today's lesson: keep your vampires away from Broadway. I'm looking at you, Twilight.

No comments: