Friday, January 27, 2017

2016 Singles: #40 through #31

40: Calvin Harris “My Way”

But in my heart I understand
I made my move
And it was all about you

If this is Calvin Harris’s break-up song about Taylor Swift then good for him. The relationship is fair game for any involved party, creatively speaking.



39: Red Hot Chili Peppers “Go Robot”


And when it's not as it appears to be, the flagrant foul
Can I put my fingers in your mouth before you start to growl

RHCP’s 11th album lacks another “Under the Bridge” and feels more fun than any they’ve released since Mother’s Milk.



38: The Lumineers “Ophelia”

Oh, oh, got a little paycheck, you got big plans and you gotta move
And I don't feel nothing at all
And you can't feel nothing small

There’s nothing wrong with saving the spot usually set aside from Mumford & Sons.



37: Madness “Mr. Apples”

Head of the table at the Rotary club
Never unsure of which shoulders he should rub

A song that so perfectly updates the classic Madness sound that I find myself wishing they were on the bill with Adam Ant next week.



36: Panic! At The Disco “Death of a Bachelor”

Alone at a table for two and I just wanna be served
And when you think of me am I the best you've ever had?
Share one more drink with me, smile even though you're sad

P!ATD out croon Michael Buble with this one.



35: Mike Posner “I Took a Pill in Ibiza”

I took a pill in Ibiza to show Avicii I was cool
And when I finally got sober, felt ten years older
But fuck it, it was something to do

It’s great when a song captures a feeling, like rolling on Molly or falling into a K-hole… or, cough, so I imagine from what people tell me.



34: Blink 182 “Bored to Death”

And it's a long way back from seventeen
The whispers turn into a scream
And I'm, I'm not coming home

The 90s were awesome, and Blink 182 was part of the reason why. They sustain their rhythmic urgency here but damn, over 4 minutes long? That seems epic for them.



33: The Paper Kites “Too Late”
No love you have come too late
I have no recollection of how I came across this song. It’s languid yet elegant; heavy with passion. It’s not the kind of power pop song I typically celebrate on this list, but damn, it’s good.



32: Trash Can Sinatras “Ain’t That Peculiar”

Ain't that something
The world surviving you
Ain't that something
Pulled me out of the blue

I helped fund TCS’s sixth studio album, and the result is full of solid pop gems like this.



31: Drake/Whizkid/Kyla Reid “One Dance”

I need a one dance
Got the Hennessy in my hand
One more time 'fore I go
Higher power’s taking a hold of me

I think Drake needs to stay out of the club for a while.

No comments: