Friday, January 27, 2017

2016 Singles: #30 through #21

30: Adele “Send My Love (To Your New Lover)” 

We've gotta let go of all of our ghosts
We both know we ain't kids no more
Send my love to your new lover
Treat her better

At some point we should tally up whether Adele or Taylor Swift managed to garner more record sales and awards from their respective break-ups.



29: Lizzo “Worship”

Worship me
On your knees
Patiently, quietly, faithfully, worship me

Rhythmic, sultry, sexual… fucking hot.



28: Red Hot Chili Peppers “Dark Necessities”

Spinning off, head is on my heart
It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark


You got sneak attacked from the zodiac

The Chili Peppers are always at their best when Flea gets to do his thing.



27: The Dead South “In Hell I’ll Be In Good Company”

I see my red head, messed bed, tear shed, queen bee, my squeeze


The stage it smells, tells, hells bells, knocks me on my knees

I have no idea if we’ll ever hear from this band again, but this song is a perfect little gem.



26: Simon Love “The New Adam and Eve”

But with you, I’m alright


It’s just that everybody else can go fuck off and die

I don’t recall when I ran across this track, but I’m sure it was love at first listen.



25: Twenty One Pilots: “HeavyDirtySoul”

No, I didn't understand the thing you said


If I didn't know better, I guess you’re all already dead

21P update the Madchester drum machine nicely with this track.



24: CHVRCHES/Hayley Williams “Bury It”

I never promised you
Anything I couldn't do
We try to bury it and rise above



A carry over from last year’s #16 album. They’re continuing to build a solid musical foundation with me as if to undermine my early suggestion that they might be a bit faddish.



23: Christine and the Queens “Tilted”

I miss prosthesis and mended souls
Trample over beauty while singing their thoughts


I match them with my euphoria

There’s an elegant electro-pop sound here.



22: Band of Horses “Casual Party”
It's coming around as it did beforeIt's gettin' your attention but where's the door?
Band of Horses have become perennial entrants on these lists of mine.



21: Meghan Trainor “No”

My name is no
My sign is no
My number is no
You need to let it go

Meghan’s managed 4 singles on my last 3 years of singles lists.

No comments: