Sunday, December 11, 2016

Something Good From 2016: BoJack Horseman, Season 3

This year has been amazingly awful for me. I won't bother to enumerate, nor will I pretend there aren't still 2+ weeks to go. Since it's therapeutic to take stock of the good and bad things that I've experienced, I'm blogging a bit about things from 2016 that were good. This is the second post in that series and it's unintentionally also about a Netflix original.

This was the third season for BoJack Horseman, a show whose acclaim failed to motivate interest from me earlier, and it benefits considerably from my experiencing all 3 seasons back to back this year. I totally would have fallen in love with the show had I seen it in its first season, but seeing the last half of seasons 1 and then the season-long stories from seasons 2 and 3 in a binge gave me a much richer experience.

"Yes, BoJack Horseman is a searingly honest depiction of addiction, depression, and self-destructive behavior. But it's also a show about talking animals."--Jessie David Fox

"...a remarkable portrait of depression, delusion, and failure"--Matt Zoller Seitz

"You were born broken"--Beatrice Horseman

"...more heartbreaking than just about any drama on television"--Jen Chaney

"This may be the nitrous and bath salts talking, but I want to do some more nitrous and bath salts."--BoJack Horseman

"...allowing the most heartbreaking parts of life to leach into the genre that’s meant to soothe them."--Emily Nussbaum

"...an incredibly dark and surprisingly nuanced meditation on depression, fame, family and friendship."--Rudi Greenberg

"You know, it's funny; when you look at someone through rose-colored glasses, all the red flags just look like flags."--Wanda the Owl

"If you ever try to contact me or my family again, I will fucking kill you!"--Charlotte Moore

The animation is suffused with emotion. The themes recur in the same vicious cycles that play out in life. And the show balances the wacky skewering of pop culture with ruminations on failure and redemption--as a Libra I dig that.


No comments: